Med. Weter. 72 (10), 647-651, 2016

full text

pdf
Elżbieta Terech-Majewska, Alicja Bernad, Stanisław Robak, Joanna Pajdak, Patrycja Schulz, Andrzej Krzysztof Siwicki, Wojciech Szweda
Bacterial and parasitic factors diagnosed in eel farmed in Poland in the years 2010-2014
European eel Anguilla anguilla L. is a fish species highly valued in European fisheries, currently reared under controlled conditions (Aquatic Recirculation System - RAS). In order to protect the health of fish, regular check-ups are carried out in specialized veterinary laboratories. Health hazards are recognized on the basis of clinical, pathological, microbiological, and parasitological surveys. The aim of the study was to analyze the results of health assessment of eels reared under controlled conditions, which was performed in the Diagnostics Laboratory of Fish and Crayfish Diseases, Department of Veterinary Hygiene, Voivodeship Veterinary Inspectorate in Olsztyn, in the period from 2010 to 2014. The results are presented according to the etiologic agents, divided into bacterial and parasitic diseases. In this period, 73 samples (100%) were examined, including 5 samples (6.85%) from glass eels and 68 (93.15%) from elvers. Microorganisms isolated from the collected material were mainly conditionally pathogenic, such as Pseudomonas fluorescens, Aeromonas hydrophila, Shewanella putrefaciens, Aeromonas sobria, Flavobacterium spp., and Chryseobacterium indologenes. The parasitological examination revealed infection with Trichodina spp., Ichthyophtirius multiphilliis, and Pseudodactylogyrus spp. The most frequently diagnosed were gill monogeneans, detected in 34 cases (75.55% of all positive parasitological test results). In 21 cases (61.8%) the infestation manifested itself as a disease. The remaining 13 cases were asymptomatic carriers (38.2%). The analysis shows that the main problem in the controlled rearing of eel are parasitic infestations, which may be endemic and pose a constant threat. Systematic monitoring and preventive measures are necessary throughout the rearing and fattening of fry to maintain a good health status of eels.
Key words: European eel, control studies, bacterial and parasitic factors,